Friday, November 22, 2013

The process

I have always wanted to write something that had substance. I tried and tried, my entire life. With age, comes experience, with experience, comes emotion and with emotion, comes inspiration. My biggest inspiration is my husband and family. There are many personal touches to this story that are dear to the both of us. Though this book is primarily science-fiction/fantasy, there is still some truth to it, and I hope the readers find something that can relate to. The bottom line, be grateful for what you have.

Here is an excerpt from the book....enjoy!

There is a man sleeping with his back to me. His hair is dark. Darker than Michael’s. This man is too tan, too thin, and his hair is cut differently. His smell is different. But he looks slightly familiar. I think I know him. But why?!  Did I cheat? Did I get drunk and pass out somewhere? Was I drugged? Have I been kidnapped? I don’t feel hungover, I don’t feel hurt, I don’t feel sick. But my mind is screaming, “What the hell is happening?!”

The familiar stranger starts to stir. ”Oh, God Jenni...run!” I think to myself. Still asleep, he rolls over to face me. I stare in shock. My hearts beats faster. How can this be? It’s my ex-husband Joe. My hand finds its way over my mouth to quiet a scream. I draw in a breath...so deep it almost suffocates me.

I feel my body begin to tremble. He is still asleep, oblivious that he is next to a woman whose world is upside down and for whom gravity no longer exists. Why am I here? Why is he here? This has to be a mistake.

“Breathe,” I think to myself, as I slowly and quietly inhale and exhale. I cannot wake him, I wouldn’t know what to say. My mind is racing. What happened last night? How did we meet up? I don’t remember any of it. I haven’t seen Joe in several years. He doesn’t even live in the same state! So how did I get into what I assume is his house?

Where is Michael -- and Olivia and Stella? Have they tried calling me? Are they worried? My cell phone...it has to be here somewhere. I have to find it. I have to find my things. I need to get out of here!

Copyright 2013- E.J. Valson

No comments:

Post a Comment