Thursday, January 2, 2014

The "Fun" of Self-publishing and Promotion -- an Indie Writers Journey

Hey want to get rich quick? Write a book! Nope -- it's really not that simple. For those of us that have gone the Self Publishing route, you might have found that this can be like swimming through reeds. At first you take a look at the cool, glistening water and think, "I can do this. I am ready to dive in and swim!" But in truth, you may want to bring some water weenies or a life jacket, as you might find that you will be tangled up in much more than you anticipated.

Though the modern, digital, social media age does provide quick access to a broad audience, I've found that it requires patience, persistence and the ability to "not take it personally," when you are not followed, retweeted or your book sits unread on Amazon -- even when you are giving it away.

My book has been available for almost one month now and though my intent was not to profit from my it, but rather tell a story that was personal to me, my hope was that it would at least get a few reads and some good reviews. After all, as writers, we put blood, sweat and tears into our pieces, so we hope that the reader will appreciate the effort in the end, right?

I know I must be patient, which is a weakness of mine. And at the end of the day, I must remember -- I wrote a book. I did something on my bucket list and I awakened a passion inside of me that had been dormant for several years. Now that the beast has risen, I suppose I must entertain it.

For those writers that are struggling and wondering if they should just give up -- don't do that. For only you created something on paper that came from your soul and your mind. Your story won't go away. It won't disappear. And if you keep at the monotony of promoting it, you might be pleasantly surprised at it's success some day.

Happy writing, happy reading, and Happy New Year!

EJ Valson
ejvalson@gmail.com
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter


1 comment:

  1. I have to say, today has been a great day for me. I have had my FIRST Retweets and some shares on Facebook. Point is, be persistent and don't give up!

    ReplyDelete